Kentucky State Police arrested two men for trafficking marijuana (more than 8 ounces and less than 5 pounds) and careless driving after troopers found about 4 pounds of marijuana and more than 100 vape cartridges inside a vehicle.
Troopers had noticed the vehicle slowing down on I-75 South as it approached the location of a police cruiser, and troopers noticed it cross the white fog lane on Monday. Troopers pulled over the driver for careless driving, according to a citation.
Police spoke to the driver, Gerome Day, 36, Rochester, New York, and asked for paperwork on the vehicle, which was a rental, the citation states. The trooper who pulled over the vehicle went back to their police cruiser, and another trooper walked up to the police cruiser.
They had Day approach the police cruiser in order to practice safe social distancing, and Day declined to answer several questions, such as where he was going and who the passenger in his vehicle was.
Troopers approached the vehicle and identified the passenger as Anthony Simmons, 32, Rochester, New York. As they were checking his identification and filling out paperwork, a third trooper arrived with a police dog, which indicated drugs were inside the vehicle.
Troopers searched it and found two boxes containing four bags of suspected marijuana weighing about 4 pounds and seemingly more than 100 vape cartridges, the citation states.
During the search, Day tried to troopers and said they didn’t have a right to search the vehicle, according to the citation.
Both Day and Simmons were taken to the Madison County Detention Center. They were both released later on Monday, according to online jail records.
Other recent arrests
• Kentaris Wansley, 38, unknown address, resident fishing without a license/permit, giving an officer false identifying information, first-degree controlled substance possession, failure to appear and four violations of an EPO/DVO.
• Roger Shackelford, 49, Curtis Pike, Richmond, first-degree controlled substance possession (methamphetamine), operating on a suspended or revoked license, rear license not illuminated and buying/possessing drug paraphernalia.
• Ashby Sanderson, 22, Frankfort, first-degree controlled substance possession (heroin), buying/possessing drug paraphernalia, public intoxication by a controlled substance (excludes alcohol), marijuana possession, nonpayment of court costs, failure to appear, theft by unlawful taking ($500 or more, but less than $10,000) and receiving stolen property (less than $500).
• Timothy Fryer, 40, South Collins Street, Richmond, operating on a suspended or revoked license, buying/possessing drug paraphernalia and first-degree controlled substance possession (methamphetamine).
• Julia Brock, 35, South Collins Street, Richmond, first-degree controlled substance possession (methamphetamine) and buying/possessing drug paraphernalia.
• Jacob Hargett, 25, Lexington, first-degree controlled substance possession (methamphetamine) and public intoxication by a controlled substance (excludes alcohol).
Reach Sara Kuhl at 624-6626; follow her on Twitter @saraekuhl.